Monday, November 06, 2006

I like winners
















Tony Stewart won yesterday. So did Peyton Manning (my fave quarterback) and the Colts (my fave team for the time being). And Lance Armstrong? He won too. So did cancer research. I like winners.

Now, I can't vouch for these people regarding their personal lives, but in their realms they are winners.

What does it take to be a winner? Here's a few bullets on the theme:
  • Focus - you know what the goal is and keep your eyes on it.
  • Determination - pain is gain.
  • Positive mental attitude - negativity can not be in a winner's vocab
  • Discipline - winners don't "sleep in." They don't take short cuts. They work hard.

Is there any biblical truth here? Let's see:

Focus
- I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Php 3:14NIV

Determinination - Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead Php 3:13 NIV

Positive mental attitude -  I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Php 4:13 NIV

Discipline - (check this out)
You’ve all been to the stadium and seen the athletes race. Everyone runs; one wins. Run to win. All good athletes train hard. They do it for a gold medal that tarnishes and fades. You’re after one that’s gold eternally. I don’t know about you, but I’m running hard for the finish line. I’m giving it everything I’ve got. No sloppy living for me! I’m staying alert and in top condition. I’m not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself. 1 Cor 9:24-27 The Message

I like winners. I want to be a winner. How about you? Tye out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It takes a real man to be a winner. Not someone who uses people up then spits them out. So cancer research may be a winner, but Lance Armstrong will never be a winner.

Tye Male said...

Anonymous wrote: "It takes a real man to be a winner. Not someone who uses people up then spits them out. So cancer research may be a winner, but Lance Armstrong will never be a winner."

Tye said: "I can't vouch for these people regarding their personal lives."

Maybe I should clarify that it is their work ethic that makes them winners. It is possible to win in a sport/occupation/whatever and lose in the game of life. Tye