Monday, October 17, 2005

Help! I'm doubting the Lord!












John's Disciples Sent to Jesus

Have you ever had doubts about God? Have you ever doubted his goodness? Well, if you have you are in good company. Often circumstances have a way of clouding our view of God. Check this out.

John the Baptizer (he wasn't a Baptist by denomination - I threw that in for my Baptist friends!) was thrown into prison and was cutoff from the world. Meanwhile Jesus was out healing people, preaching the gospel, and demonstrating by his deeds that he was clearly the Messiah. But John was cutoff from the "press" and was beginning to wonder if Jesus was truly the Christ.

He sent two of his disciples to enquire of the Lord if he was in fact "...the one who was to come, or should we expect someone else?" (Lk 7:19 NIV) Was he feeling sorry for himself? I don't think so. I think he was asking a very simple question: Is my life counting for something significant? Am I in prison for a just cause? If so, I don't mind suffering. Just please tell me - has my life counted for something of eternal value?

John's doubts led him to ask questions of the Lord. Let me encourage you today to allow your doubts to ask questions of the Lord. He can take it! (Besides, he already knows your thoughts) The catch is this: we have his promises all thoughout the Bible ensuring us that he loves us, will provide for us and will meet our needs (not necessarily our wants). Then, face your doubts honestly and allow the Lord to meet you where you are. And know this too that the Lord has a good plan for your life and ultimately our reward is not here on earth, but in heaven.

Since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Col 3:24 NIV

No comments: