Sunday, February 18, 2007

Home brew











Coffee roasting equipment

I've been roasting my own coffee beans for a while now thanks to Brett Mason. I love good coffee, and I don't like paying the high prices, so this works out pretty good for me.

Brett was so gracious and helpful with this newbie to the world of coffee roasters. In fact, he even hooked me up with my own personal roaster (used) and some green coffee beans to get started. He also gave me a coffee grinder so I can grind my own beans. Thank you so much Brett!

It warmed up to a balmy 30 degrees today (after sub-zero temps) I decided to roast some beans today. You have to do them outside because it does make a little bit of a mess and is a little bit smelly.

So, how does one roast coffee beans? It's actually very simple. But first, the equipment list:

1. A hot air popcorn popper
2. Wooden stirring spoon
3. Metal basket strainer
4. Green coffee beans

It's hard to believe it is that simple, but it is. It takes around 8-10 minutes to roast the beans, a minute or two to cool them, and then package them up. That's it! Tye out.

No comments: