Friday, January 02, 2009

Reading your Bible in 2009

I just finished my 2008 read-through of the Bible this morning. I am a couple days late but it was thrilling to read through John's Apocalypse this morning and cross the finish line. It was exhilarating and sobering at the same time.

2008 was an interesting year in many respects. My wife was consumed with nursing school and I became consumed with a flood here in CR. With her being gone a lot I wasn't able to firewall a lot of time for reading like I had in previous years.

Last year I read the Bible through a couple times and the year before that three times. This year was just once.

I will start my 2009 read-through tomorrow morning and I hope to finish sometime in December. For me, here are the keys to success when attempting to read God's word:

1. Have a plan - this is the most important. I use http://www.biblereadthrough.com. Google "Bible read through" and you can find online plans that you can even print out.
2. Read at your best time - for me it is right after workouts before showering. This is usually around 6:30-7 AM.
3. Have a designated place - I used to read at Panera but as Mr. Mom I had to be home in the mornings for Mackenzie. I either read at the dining room table or my desk whichever has the most woodgrain showing!
4. Listen to soothing music or sounds - I use headphones to cancel out voices and noises. I use one of those meditation type trax with the sounds of the ocean and pan pipes. If I listen to jazz, I wind up digging the cool licks.
5. Stay slightly ahead - Mark Forstrom recommended this one. He says that if you are always behind then your attitude won't be as good. It's best to read out of abundance rather than deficit.
6. Grace-oriented - if you get behind either skip ahead and get back on track or adjust your reading schedule.

Good luck with your Bible reading this year! Let me know how it goes. Tye out.

Every scripture is inspired by God and useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the person dedicated to God may be capable and equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 NET

No comments: