Friday, July 28, 2006

RAGBRAI 2006 Part 1






Today I rode the 6th day of RAGBRAI (Record's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa) and it was thrilling to get to ride with some pretty cool people. I didn't want to take the whole week off to ride all 7 days so I decided to join our women's ministry coordinator Pat Rieck and her friend Tamara Johnson. Here's how it went.

I arose at 4:20am and finished packing up my stuff for a 36 mile drive to Marengo where I would meet Pat and Tamara at the Iowa County Fairgrounds (where they had spent the night in a tent!) at 6am! My son drove me out at this early hour and we arrived at 5:45am ready to go. We were able to hit the road around 6:40am and start out for the 48 mile ride.

I rode with Pat and Tamara for a while until they split up (each riding their own pace). Then I split my time riding with each of them - it was fun trying to catch Pat as she road ahead.

By the end of the day I had met a lot of people from all over the country. I rode with the assistant to the secretary of the Air Force. At times I was riding with a group at over 20 mph and then at other times going real slow to chat with others. I met a guy with a 1965 VW bus - it was gorgeous. Powerbars sustained me all day along with water and gatorade.

We wrapped up the day at Applebee's in Coralville where Judy picked me up - after a great meal!

I'm planning to ride tomorrow from Coralville to Muskatine. Should be fun.

P.S. No, I didn't get to see Lance Armstrong. Heard stories about him though.

No comments: