Thursday, January 11, 2007

God is big! (and he cares about me!)

Most of you know by now that I am an avid reader of the Bible. My love for God's word got turboed last year when I decided to read through The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language for the first time. I could hardly put it down! I started on January 1, 2006 and finished April 30th just four months later! OH MY!!!

I started back through The Message again November 22 and am on track to finish in three months this time. It's incredible! It's the potatoe chip factor - you can't eat just one!

Check this out. I read this passage a few days ago and wanted to share it with you. It is a paragraph about God's love written nearly 3k years ago by King David:

God's love is meteoric,
his loyalty astronomic,
His purpose titanic,
his verdicts oceanic.
Yet in his largeness
nothing gets lost;
Not a man, not a mouse, slips through the cracks.
Psalm 36:5-6 The Message

Peterson tries to capture the essence of these verses with language that you and I understand. God is a great big God, with great big plans and purposes, yet he loves and cares for me! That is amazing! He loves me because he loves me, not because I am loveable! Have you ever thought about this?

Mere words from finite human beings will never be able to describe an infinite God who created the heavens and the earth. No wonder people struggle with understanding a gracious, merciful, loving God who came to planet earth to die for our sins. wow. Tye out.

No comments: