Monday, January 02, 2006

Let's read through the Bible this year!

Have you ever read through the Bible? It's only three chapters a day! Would you like to join me this year in a read through the Bible? Yes? Well, let me help get you going with some ideas! Here's what I recommend:

1. Get a plan! Online plans are available to keep you on track: Gospelcom.net has a site with four different reading plans and over 50 translations in many languages! Back to the Bible has a similar site as well. I am using a site called Yearly Bible Read Through. It was a bit frustrating to figure out, but once I did I really like it! You can register, set up a plan, and then use the site to read. It features over 60 translations and even a "reward" system. Pretty cool!

2. Get an accountability partner! The founder of Rex Kwan Do (Napoleon Dynamite) calls this the buddy system. (Did you see Napoleon Dynamite?) Find someone who will partner with you to encourage you as you read through.

3. Get a time and a place! A Bible reading plan deserves a plan for when and where you will read. I read first thing in the morning and it works great for me. I either read at the dining table, or at Panera's depending on the day of the week.

4. Get a good translation! I highly recommend the NIV. I also like the NASB95 - our pastor's fav. I am planning to read through The Message this year.

5. Get started! I always try to get a jump start and get ahead. READ, READ, READ!
Why not get started right now? Would you join me this year as we read through the Bible together? Let me know how you do!

15and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:15-17NIV

1 comment:

Mark E. Eades said...

OK I'll go with you on this. I've started a read through the Bible plan from my Bible so far I've been 100%.