Saturday, January 28, 2006

Passing the Baton: Developing the Heart of a Shepherd












Bill Donahue and me at the small groups conference

I had the opportunity to travel to Johnston Evangelical Free Church in Des Moines today for a conference on small groups. It was a great day and as you can see in the picture I was able to meet and chat with Bill Donahue, a virtual small group guru. He took time to answer some of my questions and also direct me to a more appropriate seminar up at Willow Creek in May. I'm glad to add another servant-leader to the list of leaders I 've had the privilege to meet.

I also enjoyed meeting the worship leader, Brad Merkle (he's really tall!) and chat with him. What a nice man with a really cool testimony. I also saw Pat Drury who is the brother of a pastor that I knew back in Wadsworth, OH at Valley View Chapel. Pat and I met in Des Moines "accidentally" several months when we were 2 of only about 6 guys in a conference. It was great seeing him again!

The NCBC small groups ministry is in formation right now and will be for quite some time. But, I believe more than ever that we need an thriving small groups ministry to help people connect and grow. Pray for our leadership team as we begin to organize and launch this ministry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tye,
It was great meeting you at the conference. Thanks for posting the slideshow. I agree, it was a great group of people and a valuable time of worship and learning.

Brad Merkle