Monday, May 12, 2008

My testimony - part 1

Let the wicked abandon their way of life and the evil their way of thinking. Let them come back to God, who is merciful, come back to our God, who is lavish with forgiveness. Isaiah 55:7 The Message

Many followers of Christ have what we call a "life verse" which is a portion of the bible that we feel typifies our lives or we want it to typify our lives. Isaiah 55:7 is my life verse because it is descriptive of a turning point in my life. I'll explain.

I gave my life to Christ sometime around the time I was 12 years old. I realized that I could not atone for my own sins and that should I choose not to accept Jesus' offer of eternal life through his death on the cross I would have to pay for my sins - eternity in hell. I turned from myself and toward God and trusted him for my eternal life.

At 15 years of age I played my sax in a rock band and made $35. It was at that moment that I determined that I would seek a career in jazz/studio music. Unfortunately I did not think (and due to the teaching of my church) that a career in secular music was cogent with being a fully devoted follower of Christ. So, I turned my back on God and decided that I would rather live for myself and my music than live for God.

That decision led to several years of living a lifestyle that was contrary to what God teaches in his word.

I'll share more tomorrow about this story. Tye out.

No comments: