Tuesday, November 08, 2005

A Benevolent Dictator?

Until today I was the benevolent dictator of my family, but no more. What do I mean by that? Well, I am 44 years old, married, and have worked hard for nearly everything I have. (can you detect a problem with that statement?) Therefore, I call the shots in my house because I deserve it! I'll be really nice and loving, but in the end I am in charge!

Are you all worked up by now? Well, first of all, I am NOT the benevolent dictator of my wife - just a partner and a servant to her. I am speaking about our children at this point. I get the best seat in the living room, the dining table, and the best bed when we travel. I figure that the children will someday have their own families and they can then be the benevolent dictators of their family.

NO MORE! Today is a NEW DAY! It's easy to be a servant leader at work, but it is not so easy at home. But, that is what Jesus did. He was a servant leader all the time.

So, on the way home from work I stopped at the music store and bought my daughter reeds for her saxophone that she asked for months ago. I'm planning on sitting on the floor a lot so my children can enjoy the better seats. I want to get hooked on serving my family. I truly want to lead like Jesus.

Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: ...made himself nothing. Taking the form of a servant...humbled himself.
Excerpts from Philippians 2:5-8 NIV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tye, This is a great blog entry that could last a lifetime. I think that PRIDE is at the center of almost every sin. I like to serve others, including my family, but I hardly go a minute without PRIDE saying "You're Right" or "You
re In Control". I like your practical ways of trying to live out humulity at home. Keep me posted on how that is going. Take Care. Todd