Friday, August 15, 2008

Who I'll never be

One of my top five strengths on the StrengthsFinder is adaptability. This word needs no definition or description. And it serves me well, especially when I go Southeast Asia in November to train pastors. As a jazz musician you are constantly adapting to the ebb and flow of the band so it is also good in that setting. As a pastor it really serves me well because it helps me adapt to the ever-changing needs of people. It also helps me to embrace change - I love change!

Adaptability also has a negative side. In fact all strengths have a downside, and for me the downside is that I can adapt so well that I often become some besides myself. It also causes me to doubt my leadership ability because I see some of these incredible leaders and think that I will never measure up.

(I took the following from Craig Groeschel's website LifeChurch.tv: swerve)

I’ll never be as a great a leader as Bill Hybels.
I’ll never be as deep as John Piper.
I’ll never be as smart as Mark Driscoll.
I’ll never be as creative as Ed Young.

Click here to read the read the rest of the list.

Craig goes on to say what he can do:
  • Cast a compelling vision and move people radically toward Christ.
  • Recognize talent and gifts in people most overlook.
  • Reach people for Christ who are far from God.
I have to be the very best Tye Male that I can be. I may look to some of these leaders as examples, but at the end of the day I have to be me and do what God wants me to do in the context where he has placed me.

I'll never be Hybels, Warren, or Westfall, but I am absolutely committed to being me. Tye out.

P.S. I'll never be as good a writer, speaker, and church founder as Craig Groeschel either!

1 comment:

Thomas said...

You are still a great man, Tye. Just keep being you. I know God will say "Well done, good and faithful servant."