Thursday, March 29, 2007

Zero emails in my inbox!

When was the last time you saw zero emails in your inbox? Probably when you set your email up! I subscribe to a really cool blog called PastorHacks.net and they offer advice on how to be better organized and more efficient in your work. They are the ones that gave me the idea to turn off the dinger in Outlook. Click here to read the entire, enlightening article.

PastorHacks had an article that has probably changed my life forever! They issued the challenge to take your box to zero by taking action on every single email, or at least filing ones you need to take action on in a folder labeled just that, Action Needed.

I currently have an extensive email file system that I have to force myself to use. Here's some of the things I did to clear out the ole inbox:
  1. Take action on emails that contain information I want to save by transfering the information to an accessible place. Passwords? In the spreadsheet. Details for upcoming events? Put them in the "note" section of a calendar entry. Websites you want to check out? Bookmark 'em!
  2. Do I really need to answer EVERY email? Nope. I typically wait until I have time to "formulate the perfect response" and because of this I postpone answering emails. Today, I gave some short, polite responses and hit the delete button.
  3. File, file file! Sub-file, and sub-sub file. I really like to hang onto data. I keep files on everything from a to z. File it.

  4. Or, delegate it. Forward it to your admin, send it to someone who can do something about it.

I can't tell you how good it felt today when I hit "zero" in my inbox. It was liberating. It was energizing! Let me know about your zero inbox! Tye out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man- That's awesome! It IS a good feeling, eh?

One challenge I hve though is that when I file something in "action" it gets forgotten. I have to constantly remind myself to process the action/waiting for folders as well...

Good luck on getting jive done!

Anonymous said...

I work with someone that has over 7000 saved emails. I deal with them and then delete them. I don't hang on to them for long because one time my computer crashed (at work) and I lost all of them. I try to remind myself that it is a temporary form of conversation. Kudos to you for not hanging on to the "stuff."

Anonymous said...

my thought is get a life! When hitting zero on your email is a big deal, you have to question your overall perspective. Come on!!!

Tye Male said...

Anonymous - I have a great life : )

I also enjoy celebrating little victories and this was one of those. For you this is probably not a "victory."

Thank you for the feeback. I appreciate it!