Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Grace 101

As I was reading the New Testament this morning I came across this quote by Jesus in Matthew 11. Many of us carry heavy burdens in the name of religion, or have done it in the past but we don't need to do this. Serving God is a grace thing, not a burden thing. Check it:

Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly. Matthew 11:28-30 The Message

I love that part about "burned out on religion?" and "learn the unforced rhythms of grace." So many people who serve the Lord live in fear and trembling that they will never measure up to God - and they are right!!! This is where grace kicks in. When we live our lives as Jesus taught us we no longer live under the tyranny and judgment of some beneficent dictator, but we are free to serve God in the unforced rhythms of grace.

No comments: