Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Being Salt & Light means you should pay your taxes without complaining

I would imagine that most of you have already filed your taxes and might have even received your refund back in the mail. I did.

Jesus tells us to pay taxes if they are required:

Then the Pharisees went out and laid plans to trap him in his words. They sent their disciples to him along with the Herodians. “Teacher,” they said, “we know you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You aren’t swayed by men, because you pay no attention to who they are. Tell us then, what is your opinion? Is it right to pay taxes to Caesar or not?” But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, “You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me? Show me the coin used for paying the tax.” They brought him a denarius, and he asked them, “Whose portrait is this? And whose inscription?” “Caesar’s,” they replied. Then he said to them, “Give to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.” When they heard this, they were amazed. So they left him and went away. Matthew 22:15-22 NIV

Pay your taxes and don't complain. I don't like paying them any more than you do, but it is something we are supposed to do in order to be salt and light in this world.

The one thing I would say is that you have the opportunity to vote for people who want to tax and spend a lot less than they are now. Also, I would be careful about voting for the person who is offering everyone free stuff - you and I will have to pay for it! Tye out.

No comments: