Wednesday, April 19, 2006

American Idol thoughts...

Ok, up until now you haven't heard too much from me about music, the music industry, musicians, and the like. Well, today I'm going to break my "streak."

Our family didn't watch the first "Idol" but heard all about it from friends. So, we decided to watch the "Fantasia" season. All I can say is "how disappointing!" Enough said. : ) Ever since then, I am not allowed to watch AI even though I enjoy it a great deal - get out the violins!!!

Last night my daughter Morgan and I were allowed to watch for a little bit and MAN, what a treat. Kellie Pickler got up and registered a 10.5 on the cute scale. Then, she proceeded to butcher a beautiful song - too bad because I understand her past performances were much better. She even acknowledged the fact that it was bad. It was a delight to see her admit to everyone that it wasn't her best - a refreshing change of pace from the prissy, egomaniac, self-absorbed contestants we've seen in the past - no (fantasia) names please.

Next was Katherine McPhee (pictured above) and she was incredible! Her lows were full and controlled, and she hit notes square on. It was absolultely flawless, and quite entertaining - which is the ultimate goal. It was the kind of solo that you wished had not ended! She really brought it! Even Simon loved it. You go girl!!!

Well, there you have it. Shocked? I love music and I especially love good music done with passion and soul. How do you know when it is "Idol" worthy? You just know it, and when you hear it you can't help but stop and listen, shout, cry, get goose bumps, etc. You just know it.

Whattayathink? Let me know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What??? No one has commented? Well, as a self-proclaimed Idol fanatic, I agree wholeheartely with you. Kudos for Pickler's honest, humble analysis, "I butcher'd it!" McPheever has a powerful, soulful, emotional voice. This show is so fun (But, country girl that I am, I miss Bucky)! I will pray, Tyrone, that your home will soon welcome with open arms the broadcast of the last good family show on TV (excepting P.A.'s wardrobe malfunction last week). And VOTE! You don't have a right to complain unless you participate! (FYI: Applicable also in the real world). Chris Rocks, McPhee is McMarvelous, Taylor trips my trigger. That's my top three, not in any particular order. Thanks for enjoying Kelly's humility, as I did. I am much more likely to name my "idol" after such a one.

Anonymous said...

Tye-bo,

I agree that Kelly is adorable in looks and personality, not to mention the path she has journeyed to get where she is now. Admirable is another word that comes to mind. I agree that she is a humble person at heart, but at times she seems to lack confidence during the judges comments. With AI winding down for this season, I predicted several weeks ago the Katherine and Chris will be the finally two. And, despite what Ret and J.B. think, I think Taylor must go. Atleast, he must go to the lounge with Frank Sinatra. The best thing he could do is have a makeup person try to make him look more like George Clooney. My bet is thet Elliot will be the next to go, followed by Paris, followed by Taylor. Leaving Chris and Katherine to battle for top honors. I hope you get to watch another episode soon. Todd

Tye Male said...

Nice job Todd! It looks like you called it correctly!

Anonymous said...

Never said Taylor would win...But I am hoping for his CD in my stocking next Christmas! I am also hoping for a Katharine/Chris showdown (and their CDs in my stocking as well). We'll be watching closely at the 2nd annual AI Finale party.