Saturday, April 15, 2006

Bike riding season 2006 is under way!!! Yeah!

Yesterday (sat) I spent most of the day cleaning my bike which was quite dirty. I also need to install my new cyclocomputer and new heart rate monitor - it was QUITE a job!

My HRM (heart rate monitor) also serves as a cyclometer but I had only intended to use it for HR. Well, that changed when my nearly 20 year old computer broke off my handle bar and repair parts, well, forget it. So I figured I just set up the HRM (Polar S150) to handle my cycling as well, like speed, avg. speed, max speed, etc. One problem - it doesn't do cadence. What's that? (you're asking...)

Cadence is the rpms a cyclist is pedaling. This is important to me because I happen to know that I maximize my output when I'm pedaling in the 95-105 range with a HR of about 165-170. So, I had to purchase another cyclocomputer to measure cadence. I bought the cheapest one you can get that still offers cadence, the Cat Eye Astale 8 (seen on the left in the pic below).










All this for a hobby? Yes! For me, I need to know what my bike is doing and how my body is responding to the stress I am placing on it. Also, it keeps cycling fun by keeping me informed with data and input.

No comments: