Sunday, April 30, 2006

I finished the Bible!

Yesterday I finished my read-through (cover to cover) of the Bible. I started on Dec. 31st of 2005 reading through The Message and what I discovered is that I REALLY enjoyed reading it. In fact, I found myself having to quit reading because I would run out of time each day. Wow! What an experience! A complete read through in 4 months. How and why? (you were asking)

1. Evelyn Wood Speed Reading - I know most of you will probably think this is a sham like WWF Wrestling and the Ginshu knife, but it's not. I purchased the book, read it, and have since nearly doubled my reading speed. Also, the faster you read the better you comprehend. Click here for more info on speed reading.

2. Reading an easy-to-read translation - I have read the KJV through at least once because at Christian College you have to. It was frustrating to read, study, and understand. No wonder! It's over 300 yrs old. Then I read through the NASB - better language, but not good for readability. Then I read through the NIV, several times. WOW! The NIV is without a doubt the best English version we have. Then, I read the Living Bible one year. I loved it! Moral of this story? Find a translation that reads easy and read it!

2a. Readability of the version - I discovered that it is easier to read a Bible that is laid out in paragraph format rather than verse format.

3. A plan - I used an online read through plan that I designed. This provided accountability and motivation. Click here for more.

4. Sacrifice - I spent an average of 45 minutes a day reading. This does not include studing.

I started my second read through for this year. I'm doing the NIV this time.


God means what he says. What he says goes. His powerful Word is sharp as a surgeon’s scalpel, cutting through everything, whether doubt or defense, laying us open to listen and obey. Nothing and no one is impervious to God’s Word. We can’t get away from it—no matter what. Hebrews 4:12ish The Message

No comments: