Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Contentment and Entitlement

Early this week I read about the children of Israel in my read-through-the-Bible of the new NET Bible and how they complained to Moses about the manna they had to eat every day.

11:4 Now the mixed multitude who were among them craved more desirable foods, and so the Israelites wept again and said, “If only we had meat to eat! 11:5 We remember the fish we used to eat freely in Egypt, the cucumbers, the melons, the leeks, the onions, and the garlic. 11:6 But now we are dried up, and there is nothing at all before us except this manna!” Numbers 11:4-6 NET Bible

God was hand delivering all the manna they could eat every day - free food! But like many of us they complained about the free food. You see, they felt entitled to have better food than what they were currently receiving. And, they actually said that it was better back in Egyptian bondage and slavery!

The question is one of contentment verses entitlement. It is so easy to begin taking for granted the nice things we enjoy. Here in Cedar Rapids I often see beautiful houses, two new(er) cars in the drive, house full of furniture, and even a boat and/or motorcycle in the garage. Expensive vacations are fairly common. I quit doing the "what was your favorite vacation" ice breaker because it was depressing to hear about all these trips if you were unable to afford them!

Are we content, or are we feeling the pull of the entitlement attitude?

Bottomline, are we content with what you have? In many parts of our country and around the world people are dying of hunger and poor living conditions. Let's choose to be thankful for what we have. Tye out.

4:11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content in any circumstance. 4:12 I have experienced times of need and times of abundance. In any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of contentment,8 whether I go satisfied or hungry, have plenty or nothing. 4:13 I am able to do all things9 through the one10 who strengthens me. Philippians 4:11-13 NET Bible

No comments: