Monday, November 12, 2007

Blue Monday

After an incredible week of ministry and a big band concert on the weekend, I have to confess that I'm feeling a little blue this morning.

So, how do you beat a blue day? I have realized that I have down days after a hectic week of even good things. I also have blue moods when I think about the past. You see, there are some really good things about my past that I now miss, and there are some things about the past that are NOT good things that I have to get over, and on with it.

This often occurs to those who have experienced a loss of some sort. Today I am thinking about people who have experienced the death of a spouse, or a divorce because this leaves such an incredible void in their lives. Check out what Michelle McKinney Hammond says about this in her book Get Over It and On With It:

This applies not just to the death of a loved one, but also to the death of any situation in our lives. We lose the victory we could have when we refuse to accept change by focusing on what has been – what we no longer have or never had. One-tree-itis. Um hmm. That’s what most of us have. We get stuck on the one tree we can’t eat from. Yet we are standing in the middle of a garden that offers a bounty of luscious fare. Life offers us so much that we never partake of when we choose to be prisoners of our own pain. Our insistence in having what we want gets us into trouble, hung up, stuck every time. In Urbaneese it’s called being “stuck on stupid.”

It’s time to give it a rest. Don’t talk about it. Don’t revisit it anymore. It’s over. To refuse to face this fact is like not accepting that summer or winter is over and refusing to wear the right clothing. Not only will you look ridiculous wearing a coat in ninety-degree weather or summer apparel in below-zero temperatures, but you will either burn up or freeze to death. It is unhealthy not to embrace change and make the necessary transition. Now is the time to focus on an important issue: What do we do next?

Until you face the reality that this season of your life is over, you will be unable to plan your next move.

Today is the beginning of the rest of your life. The past is the past. Enjoy the victories and learn from the defeats.

I think I'm going to get busy planning the rest of my life and living it to the hilt!!! Tye out.

Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead. Php 3:13NIV

No comments: