Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Volvo Vampire is gone

2.5 years ago my sister-in-law very graciously loaned us her 1996 Volvo 850 and told us that she wanted it back when we were done with it. Well, after over $4k in repairs I am done with it. Admittedly, I had to put tires on it when we got it so that sort of got the ball rolling. Next came (I lost track) radiator, rack and pinion, starter (on Volvo was $470 installed), front brakes (I did this myself), rear brakes (done at shop), two more tires, broken sunroof, and an oil pan ($850) because I hit a pothole and poked a hole in the cast aluminum oil pan - any other car would have been around $2-300. the week before it went back the critical check engine light came on so that cost almost $100 to have checked out. It was a broken vacuum hose thingee. bummer.

Needless to say I am thrilled to no longer see that car in the driveway. I still don't have a car yet but a friend here graciously loaned me his car for a while. I'll try riding my bike on some days, and even walking on others. For $4k I could have bought my dream bicycle and a car to drive when the weather is bad. hmmm - maybe that is why I don't care for rear view mirrors all that much. : )

Any how, no more Volvo repairs. The Volvo Vampire has left the building. Tye out.

P.S. Luxury cars deserve a luxury salary. I should have known better. Pastors should not be driving a Volvo no matter what.

No comments: