Wednesday, April 25, 2007

American Idol Gives Back - INCREDIBLE SHOW!!!

American Idol gives back was lived up to all my expectations. It was entertaining, had awesome performances, and raised money for a worthy cause. Since one of my top five strengths is input (the collection of data, sometimes for no apparent reason) I used that gift to help you navigate to sites you may wish to check out.

I also thought it was a touch of class not to bid farewell to one of the contestants!

The real "winner" tonight was the fight against AIDS/poverty, especially in Africa. Millions of dollars will be added to this cause. It does my heart good to see American Idol leveraging their influence to give back. Congrats to American Idol!

I think that the Celine/Elvis bit was totally over the top and worth watching the whole program for. See my notes below. They never did tell us how they did it, but I would imagine you'll be able to find out with a google search. You can also download it to iTunes - I know I will!

This entry is going to be a long one. Enjoy!

Earth, Wind, & Fire – wow, what a blast from the past! Love those hot horn licks! Back in 1980 (I think) they won a Grammy for the instrumental arrangements courtesy of Jerry Hey and the Sea Wind horns! It still sounds good to me. Click here to watch a video – how cool is that!

African Children’s Choir – singing with Josh Groban. He has an amazing voice. (I’m reduced to tears again) The AFCC came to our church years ago and touched my heart in a deep way.

Rascal Flatts – I love this group, band, et al! Joe Don was a bit pitchy. Must be a TV thing. Besides that, I love their sound, their songs, and their incredible energy. I hope to get to see them in concert at some point.

Carrie Underwood – first, she is lovely. Second, tears flowed nearly immediately. I wish she would have sung a different song. But then again this was not about her; it was about the AIDS/poverty crisis. I think Carrie is my new fave singer. She is amazing.

___________ Opera on idol? Who was that group? I hope someone liked that – I didn’t.

Jack Black (Chris Farley reincarnated?) – dude! He can sing! Better than Kiss’s original! Here's the judges comments:
Simon – better than Sanjaya
Randy – Dog, check it out…
Paula – School of Rock wants their diploma back
Seal best rendition of Kiss’s… (I agree!)

Terri Hatcher - lose some of the make up. You don't need it.

House (Hugh Laurie) – same ole arrogant shtick. We love watching his show though.

Ellen Degeneres – she is typically very funny, but she seems to be struggling. Personally donating 100 g’s.

Paula Abdul - why does she wear tops like that? Please.

Stayin’ Alive by the Bee Gees (help me!) - hilarious.

Simon’s response to the people living in deplorable conditions. He seemed genuinely concerned about those people. Actually, he seemed overwhelmed.

Kelly Clarkson – nice bluesy voice. What an incredible contrast - vivacious highs, and silky lows. No wonder she was the original Idol.

The Simpsons – if you have ever seen the actors it’s even better. (I’ve actually never seen a single episode of the Simpsons. Click here to see actors on Conan.

Malaria – kills one child every 30 seconds in Africa. (no, malaria is not a rock group)

Celine Dion & Elvis Presley – INCREDIBLE!!! This was a show stopper! Two TRUE American Idols performing

Annie Lennox – ok vocals – not my style. Cool, innovative website though!

BonoYou’ve been told that you can’t be the generation that ends stupid poverty. It’s not true.

I have to confess that I did not call and make a contribution to AIDS/poverty. I'm sure that many did and I am thankful for that. Have a great week! Tye out.

No comments: