Monday, April 23, 2007

Recording with the Kirkwood Student Jazz Band

















I got a call two Friday's ago after I got off at Panera from Tim Feldkamp out at Kirkwood College. The lead alto sax player was out of town and the band was scheduled to have a recording session on Monday and he wanted me to play for the band in the session.

So, I headed out to pick up the music and begin practicing because Tim said that it was going to quite challenging. It was.

I worked on difficult sections Saturday, and then on Sunday I worked on the parts between playing in brassline at all four services. I even stayed after the "welcome lunch" and practiced part of the afternoon.

Monday at 3 o'clock I sat down in the lead alto chair for the first time since leaving CCM back in 1981. And I have to say it felt good! Well, until I screwed up the next to last measure of the first tune not once, but twice! How humbling.

All in all the session went well. I had several solos and enjoyed working with the young people. I was invited back on Wednesday to cover again! It was a lot of fun! Thanks to Dr. Tim Feldkamp for having confidence in me to pull off the book! Tye out!

No comments: