Monday, April 09, 2007

Why I blog?

I found this article today and thought I would share it with you. Some have questioned me about blogging and what does it really accomplish. Well, today I read something that resonated with me so I'll share it with you. It is written by Ken Gosnell and is entitled 4 Ways Blogging Can Change Your Church. I have used Ken's four points and then the explanation that follows is mine. : )

1. Blogging will bring churches closer together as it closes a communication gap
It is truly my desire to eventually develop a blog for some of the ministries I oversee: Small Group, Men's Fraternity, ABFs. I would hope that people would be stopping by to see what is going on and interact with one another online.

2. Blogging will help to develop sermons and classes
Blogging helps me get my ideas down on "paper" and then get some feedback. Even though I am not developing sermons right now, but I'm still thinking devotionally as I read through the Bible and as ideas come to my mind I try to get them down on the blog.

3. Blogging will break down barriers and remove masks
As God is teaching me things I try to share those things with people so they might benefit from my personal struggles and how God is helping me grow. The apostle Paul was brutally honest with his struggles and that encouraged his readers.

4. Blogging will help the church to engage the culture
It also helps pastors like me engage the culture. I don't ever want to get trapped inside the stained-glass halls of the church isolated from the very culture Jesus commanded us to penetrate. I can do this by blogging about cultural issues and things in the culture for example jazz music, Zanny Henseler on Deal or No Deal, or ways for the church to be more effective.

There you go. I hope you enjoy reading my blog and find something here that helps encourage your life, makes you think about something, or just gives you a light-hearted moment in the middle of your day. Tye out.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have your blog bookmarked and read often!