Thursday, October 11, 2007

Jazz at Konstantino's

Last night I had the privilege once again of playing in the Iowa Vanguard Jazz Collective in downtown Cedar Rapids at Konstantino's. It was a good night. We did several rock numbers and also latin tunes. I prefer the straight ahead bepop and hard-swinging, Basie style tunes, but it was still fun to play with such a talented group of musicians.

Thanks to Dave, MaryAnn, and Karen who stopped in to listen. It was cool seeing familiar faces. Dave asked me why I play and I simply told him "pure joy." It is absolutely pure joy to play with a big band.

What do you do for the pure joy of it? I can tell you that I sense God's pleasure when I play music. Tye out.

Ecclesiastes 2:24
-26 There is nothing better for people than to eat and drink, and to find enjoyment in their work. I also perceived that this ability to find enjoyment comes from God. 25 For no one can eat and drink or experience joy apart from him. 26 For to the one who pleases him, God gives wisdom, knowledge, and joy but to the sinner, he gives the task of amassing wealth - only to give it to the one who pleases God. This task of the wicked is futile – like chasing the wind! NET Bible

No comments: