Wednesday, October 03, 2007

a self-serving king













As my blog readers know I have a passion for servant leadership, partly because of the pain I have experienced in the past due to abusive leaders.

A few days ago I was reading about King Saul who started out well, but did not finish that way. David killed Goliath the giant and won the affections of the people. Saul was happy that David took the big guy down, but became sad when David's fame rose above his own. Here's what Samuel records:

The women who were playing the music sang,

"Saul has struck down his thousands,

But David his tens of thousands!"

This made Saul very angry.... So Saul was keeping an eye on David from that day onward.
1 Samuel 18:7-9 NET Bible

Later we find Saul trying to kill David. This is because deep down inside Saul is a very insecure leader and because of that could not celebrate with David. This is a tragic mistake many leaders make.

So, how do you respond when someone else succeeds? When the team chooses another's idea over yours? Are you able to celebrate other people's accomplishments, even when they supersede your own? It's not always easy for me, but I sure try. Tye out.

No comments: