Friday, October 19, 2007

Panera Ponderings

Today was a short day at Panera. They had too many people and offered to let me leave early, at 10:30 AM, after only working for 4 1/2 hours. So I ran home, showered, and headed on back to Panera to work on this side of the counter. I left the church last night at 6 PM with about 3 hours work left.

Last week I had a lady come to my register at Panera who was quite condescending and difficult. Worse yet, she had her teen daughter watching her pushy ways. She rattled off her order so fast not even Superman could have kept up! Then, I asked for clarification and she did it again!!! In the end her impatience and demeaning ways cost her more time than it saved her. She was back in this morning and was treating Susan like a cheap servant. Why do people do this? Is she any better than us? (hmm, I am sure glad you asked that question!)

(a slight rant warning) Some people feel they are better than others. They are demanding and demeaning to others who lack their social status. Often they are handsome or pretty, have social as well as financial capital, and are used to being in charge everywhere they go. How do I know this? (keep reading)

But for the grace of God, there go I. Once upon a time I treated people like this - ouch. I was brutal to waitresses and sales people. But you know what? Now that I work in a grace environment I cannot bring myself to act this way. But for the grace of God, those beautiful, wealthy people would not have all the above. I'm not rich, but God has blessed me as far as this world is concerned.

Instead, I want to strive to be thankful for what God has given me and use it for his honor and glory.

That's it for now. Love God, love people. Lord help me to do this. Tye out.

But above all pursue his kingdom and righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33 The NET Bible

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord for opening our eyes when we are not being Christ-like. I don't know about you, but I feel so ashamed if I slide back into those worldy ways.

Kim Pagel said...

Thanks Tye for your reminder to treat people with dignity and respect.