Saturday, November 29, 2008

Black Friday - the me generation

He wasn't fighting terrorism. He was not pushing back terrorists in a region where they have taken over free people's lives. He was not trying rescue hostages at the Taj Hotel in New Delhi. He was trampled to death because...

Jdimytai Damour was working at Walmart. This is really sad.

I was just watching the news when I heard about Mr. Damour who was working at Walmart was trampled to death by shoppers trying to get in the door at 5 AM for the best deals. Click here for more info.

This is so sad. Maybe you could pause a moment and say a prayer for this young man's family, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, and parents who will celebrate Christmas with one less person at the table. This is sad.

He gave his life for the "me" generation. He gave his life for consumerism. He gave his life in the name of "the person with the most toys when he dies wins." This is sad.

Followers of Christ have a different set of morals we are supposed to follow. Jesus put it this way:

“You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and those in high positions use their authority over them. It must not be this way among you! Instead whoever wants to be great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first among you must be your slave. Matthew 20:25-27 NET Bible

Back in the day I was one of those lining up at 5:30 AM to do my Christmas shopping, but I have to admit I found it very unpleasant and difficult to "fight my way" through the doors. I haven't been back since.

Take a minute with me and imagine a world where people see themselves as servants of everyone else? I just came back from SE Asia and I saw a little slice of this with my own eyes. The Asians are excellent at serving others, so much to the point that when I arrived back in Minneapolis I was taken back by the rudeness of people. Tye out.

Lord, help me to serve people rather than seeking to be served. It is not always easy so please give me the strength to do so. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...let's put Christ back in Christmas