Monday, July 21, 2008

Building houses in Juarez, Mexico - house dedication - July 10















After 48 hours of travel, torrential rain, exhaustion, and many hours of hard work we finished our house at 4:30 PM on Thursday afternoon, inventoried the tools, and headed back to the SHOC to eat and clean up for the dedication. As you could tell from the pics, I chose not to clean up. I wanted to wait until we got back to El Paso later in the evening.

We headed back to the work site to present the keys to the home owner. It was a moving time as we presented a Bible and keys to the house. There were a lot of tears of joy from our team and it was difficult getting everyone back on the bus for the border crossing. I wish you could have been there.

Personal note - at this point I had worked 10 straight hours trying to get the drywall done. I worked through lunch. The night before we had a wonderful worship service with songs that spoke right to me and I poured out my heart to God. I was reminded of how much I love missions and wish that I could be a missionary. God cut me out to do missions, but did not call me. I was tired and all I wanted to do was leave and start the journey back to see my beautiful wife Judy because I was beginning to miss her. Up until then I had been too busy to think about her.

For $6k we gave a family a house. It is humbling. How many of you spend 4-5 times that on your car? We are definitely blessed.

Some day I hope to make Juarez an annual destination. Tye out.

No comments: