Thursday, September 28, 2006

Cookies for Fire Fighters














Morgan and Mackenzie with CRFD Personel
(Clic on the pic for a slideshow)

9/11 had a profound effect on me this year. I watched that documentary by the french guy who was filming a NYFD when the 9/11 call came in. It was too much. Andrew and I stayed up until 1 AM watching.

The next day, 9/11, I decided that I wanted to do something to say thanks to fire fighters in our area. Thanks to Judy for spending the afternoon baking chocolate chip cookies and right after supper we headed out to deliver cookies. It was our hope to bring a little sunshine to people who lay there lives on the line and rarely here the words "thank you."

At the first firehouse, we dropped off a plate of cookies to the station on C Ave and I think the men were a little shocked. They also seemed somewhat preoccupied - maybe a meeting or something.

Second stop was 42nd Ave. They invited us in and they were quite surprised. They gave us a tour of the station and even posed for pics! (Mackenzie wearing the fire coat)

Third stop was on 19th Ave (I think) just off 1st ave. Again, they were so surprised and welcomed us in even though Monday night football was on!

The last stop was near Coe College downtown. We received a complete tour of this very old fire hall that is a two story. The guys there were thrilled we stopped and posed for a lot of pics. (pics with fire truck in background)

Most of the stations we stopped at said that they rarely get visitors. All them were very receptive to our visit. It was a moving night, and gave me an idea for next year.

Next year, I would like to take goodies to all the fire stations, paramedics, and police in Cedar Rapids on 9/11. Would you join me? Let me know how you would like to help.

No comments: