Sunday, February 18, 2007

Daytona 500

Today is the first day of the NASCAR Nextel Cup Race series and I have taken my place on the couch with remote in hand ready to go. Usually I would be resting up for the evening service but not today. And btw, no redneck jokes about NASCAR standing for "non-athletic sport centered around rednecks."

Do I have a favorite driver? Sorta. I like Jeff Gordon. I also like the fave bad boy, Tony Stewart. But if you know me, you'll know that I want to enjoy a good race - and a safe one.

But for those of you who know about NASCAR and restrictor plate racing, more than likely there will be the "big one" at some point. (Click here to see a "big one at Daytona") This is because they all essentially the same horse power due to the restrictor plates, so they all ride around together until a wreck happens.
This all makes me wonder about some things. This is dangerous stuff. In fact, 6 years ago today Dale Ernhart, Sr. died in this same race. I often wonder why I am so attracted to something that is so dangerous and life-threatening. Someone else is potentially sacrificing their life so I can enjoy mine.
That's what the Lord Jesus Christ did for us. He sacrificed his life for us so that we could have eternal life. Have you accepted Christ, or even considered his offer of eternal life? Tye out.
He was wounded because of our rebellious deeds, crushed because of our sins; he endured punishment that made us well; because of his wounds we have been healed. Isaiah 53:5 NETBible

No comments: