Saturday, February 24, 2007

Panera's Pastor

As most of my regular readers know, I am working at Panera (behind the counter) every Friday. This has been fun and a bit of a challenge in that it has been hard to learn so many new things only working one day a week. They tell me I am doing fine, but most of the time I don't feel like it. : (

Yesterday my register was not working properly and it was very frustrating to say the least. And it seemed like I had more than my share of controlling people who were very impatient. This is where things get interesting.

I am absolutely committed to servant leadership, but I can tell you that the senario yesterday really put it to the test. To top things off, there are always a handful of people each day who are quite impatient and condescending. They treat you like a second class citizen and that is really hard, unless you are a servant leader. Check out these Bible verses I read this morning:

Rather, use your freedom to serve one another in love; that's how freedom grows. Galatians 5:14 (The Message)

Freedom comes when you are serving, not being served! This means that when I choose to serve others in love (that's critical) then I am the one set free. True freedom then is to serve. Paul continues on to say:

For everything we know about God's Word is summed up in a single sentence: Love others as you love yourself. That's an act of true freedom. Galatians 5:15

You see, you are experiencing true freedom when you serve others. It's the kingdom upside down! So, how are you doing serving others? It is NOT always easy, but it is the right thing to do! Tye out.

My counsel is this: Live freely, animated and motivated by God's Spirit. Then you won't feed the compulsions of selfishness. Galatians 5:16 The Message

No comments: