Monday, December 17, 2007

A call for some new Christmas hymns and carols

Ok, go ahead and say it - "Tye, you are such a Scrooge." I was thinking last night in church as we sang the same exact songs I sang when I was in elementary school 35 years ago that it might be time for a change. (btw, I am not grinding an axe about NCBC. Gary, Angie and Jane do a FANTASTIC job!)

That said, I would like to issue a call to Christian artists and writers to present us some new Christmas carols and hymns that have a more "today" sound combined with today's praise and worship more vertical worship.

I'm not against the old hymns. I'm just a little weary of the old ones.

I have to confess that I do not enjoy singing about theology. I prefer the songs that sing to the Lord, rather than about the Lord.

So, if you have the gift of creating new music and expressing a heartfelt passion for worship of our creator then please get busy and share your talent with the church. I'm ready!!!

1 Sing to the Lord a new song, for he has done marvelous things;
his right hand and his holy arm
have worked salvation for him.
2 The Lord has made his salvation known
and revealed his righteousness to the nations.
3 He has remembered his love
and his faithfulness to the house of Israel;
all the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God. Psalm 98:1-3NIV

1 comment:

Rett said...

Tye, Here are just a few of my favorites:

Nearly every song on the albums
City on a Hill--It's Christmastime
Come Let Us Adore Him--A Christmas Worship Experience

And several from:
Christmas Through Our Eyes
Kathy Mattea--Good News
For God So Loved (Word Entertainment)

You'll even find a gem or two on:
Shout Praises Kids Christmas (Offering, Hallelujah)
Diamond Rio Christmas (The Star Still Shines)
Brad Paisley Christmas (Born on Christmas Day)

The songs are out there, but there's 4-5 exceptionally traditional weeks in a year to introduce them, which is a challenge.

I thought the special music this season was a wonderful blend of new-ish music and loved singing the familiar harmonies in Joy to the World and Silent Night...

Anyway, I hear you, but I think the challenge is less in writing in the music as it is in deciding if/when/how to introduce it.

And aren't you STINKING proud of me for having read your blog?

Also, again, great message yesterday. God's been encouraging me all year with the same truth.

Have a great day.
Rett