Saturday, December 29, 2007

The sermonator - Does God really care?

I am working today on putting the finishing touches on my talk for this Sunday. I will be sharing in all four services so if you are a praying person I would appreciate your prayers.

I know a lot of my readers do not view my blog on the weekends, but I thought I would put my outline in here just in case you had some ideas you would like to share with me like illustrations, or changes you would make.

I read through the Bible this year three times and the thing that has struck me about this year's readings is how compassionate and long suffering God is. (I know! You're not supposed to end sentences like that, but that's how us mid-westerners talk.) Even when God decrees judgment on a person, place, or thing, he is compassionate and merciful and will even relent his decree of judgment when people respond in prayer and repentance. I know that statement irks Calvinists, but it is in the Bible. Adjust. (quoting Jim Cymbala who I heard say that at a conference for pastors) Here's the sermon outline:

“Does God Really Care?”
Exodus 34:6-7

1. The Bible teaches that God, in his very essence, is compassionate and merciful. (Deuteronomy 34:6-7a)

  • Adam and Eve (Genesis 3:9)

2. Because of his compassion, God responds to prayer.

  • Hezekiah (2 Kings 20:1-6)
  • People of Nineveh (Jonah 3:4,10)
  • The children of Israel (2 Chronicles 7:13-14)

3. As compassion receivers we should be compassion givers.

  • We must never forget from where we have come (Deuteronomy 24:21-22)
  • God, who is rich in mercy, loved us (Ephesians 2:4)
  • The Great Commandment (Mark 12:30-31)

Conclusion: Does God really care? Yes!!! God has demonstrated his love and compassion over and over again and we can rest in this fact and share this compassion with others.

Let me know what you think. And, say a prayer that God would use this message to encourage, challenge and motivate his people to action. Tye out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks like a great follow up of Pastor Bob's advent sermons. God has showed us His compassion and mercy by not giving us what we deserve.
One question. What irksome statement are you refering to?
Joe

Tye said...

Joe - thanks for your comment!Also, thanks for the kind comments. I feel like this is exactly what the Lord wants me to share tomorrow.

The statement that I think irks Calvinists is the fact that God "changes his mind" after decreeing a certain matter. Of course I understand that he already knew that the person was going to repent or not, so he didn't really change his mind. Yet, it is extremely clear that Hezekiah was a gonner in God's eyes, and then when he prayed God gave him an additional 15 years.

I'm new to this whole calvinistic way of thinking and have a lot to learn. I am more calvinist now than I have ever been. Maybe some day I'll make the leap!

Tye said...

Joe - btw, how do YOU feel and think about what I said about the above?

Anonymous said...

I agree. I have also studied calvinism a lot in the last two years. It took me awhile to wrap my head around the five points(TULIP), but I have made the leap. It has completely changed my life.
Tye said,
"Even when God decrees judgment on a person, place, or thing, he is compassionate and merciful and will even relent his decree of judgment when people respond in prayer and repentance".
I guess I didn't see anything in the statement that would irk any calvinist. Maybe hyper-calvinist.
God will have mercy with whom He will have mercy. That I do know. I wasn't irked. I understood completely what you said.
The Ninevits come to mind. They had 40 days to repent or their city would be taken and Jonah was commanded to give the Word of the Lord(Jonah 3:3). Everyone in that great city prayed and repented and the city was spared. I love the high view of scripture I get from this passage and the study of the doctrines of grace has given me this same view of God's word and His supremacy.
I think we both agree that God knows whats going to happen. He is in control of everything. This has given me such peace, comfort and a urgency and love for the lost that I never had before. My time has become more productive. Politics, stockmarket, sports and other things had become my idol. There was nothing wrong with these things as a whole, but I had spent a lot of time and effort on my idols. Sorry Pastor Tye, I ramble on. The study of Calvinism has affected my life like nothing else has. The things that have take my attention away from God have diminished. Anywho, I have been greatly blessed by the advent series Pastor Bob has done. It was awesome. I have heard many people express those same sentiments.
I am praying for you. Joe