Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Embracing Faith Devo #15

Click here to read Kim Pagel's devo for today. Kim is the executive pastor at NCBC.

Today's passage is a familiar one: Ephesians 4:12-16. Once again Paul uses the analogy of the body and this time he talks about how the "offices" (apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastor-teachers) were given to equip the believers for ministry. That is why I am called an "equipping pastor" at NCBC. While we may do ministry, we do not lead ministry. Our job is to equip believers and empower leaders.

The phrase that struck me this morning was the one in verse 16:

From him the whole body grows, fitted and held together through every supporting ligament.

As I am getting back to a work out regimen I am being reminded how important it is to have strong ligaments before your build muscle mass. Strong muscles will only hurt weak ligaments.

In the church, strong ligaments is the vision of the church and the amount of unity the church has regarding that vision. And at NCBC we are strong in that area and it shows. The second thing I think about is our love for one another. Our church is strong in this as well. Without the "love" factor, a strong church in mission, vision, and values would be quite legalistic. Not at NCBC!

My take away for today is that as I am trying to embrace faith I have to be open to God working in a way that I cannot see nor can I think of. With eyes of faith I am trusting God to do something I cannot do, cannot comprehend, cannot dream of, and something that has probably never entered my mind. Tye out.

No comments: