Thursday, February 28, 2008

Embracing Faith devo #17 - Jesus prays for me!

Click here to read John Herder's email devo for today.

Today's passage is right in the middle of what is called "the intercessory prayer of Jesus." In John 17 we find recorded Jesus' prayer where he prays not only for his disciples but also for everyone who would eventually believe which includes you and I!

Jesus prays that believers would be one as the the Trinity is one; God the father, God the son, and God the Holy Spirit - three, yet one.

How does this flesh out today? First of all, believers can experience unity when they are like-minded in purpose. The church's mission is extremely clear - make disciples. We are unified when we are fulfilling the great commission.

Second, believers can experience unity when we are loving one another. We are commanded to love one another and by doing this we can experience unity. This doesn't mean that I agree with everyone, but it does mean that I love them as Christ would love them.

Today's embracing faith challenge for me is remember that the greatest thing I can do is to love others and share the good news of the gospel.

1 comment:

Adam Pastor said...

"Jesus prays that believers would be one as the the Trinity is one; God the father, God the son, and God the Holy Spirit - three, yet one."

Hmmm!
Your assertion is strange because nowhere does Jesus (or Scripture) ever mention "God the son, and God the Holy Spirit - three, yet one"
So scripturally it cannot be fleshed out at all!

Rather, Jesus prayed ...
(John 17:11) ... Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
(John 17:21-22) That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. 22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

Jesus prays to the Holy Father.
Who is the Father?

(John 17:3) And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
(John 20:17) Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.
(1 Cor 8:6) But to us there is but one God, the Father, ...

The Father is the ONE GOD,
the ONLY TRUE GOD.
The GOD & Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
[2 Cor 11.31, Eph 1.3, Col 1.3, 1 Pet 1.3]

Neither Jesus nor the early church knew of so-called "God the son, and God the Holy Spirit"

We ought to follow their example & drop such speech!
For more info see the video at

The Human Jesus

Yours In Messiah
Adam Pastor