Thursday, February 28, 2008

Body for Life

About eight years ago a friend handed me a book called Body for Life. I was about 25 pounds overweight, out of shape, and feeling bad. Further, I ate like a garbage disposal. It wasn't a pretty picture. John Milner let me borrow the book the first week of June and after reading I decided I could actually do this easy program of fitness and nutrition.

Bill Phillips presents a fitness program of cardio and weight training that is more aerobic than anything else. And, you work out in the morning, on an empty stomach and then you wait for an hour before eating. This causes your body's metabolism to go up! Three times a week you do weight training, and three times a week its cardio.

The diet part is similar to a diabetic diet. You eat a serving size of carb and one serving of protein once every 2-3 hours throughout the day. And you use your fist or open palm to measure a serving. Sound easy? It is!

I started the program in June and I weighed a hefty 172 pounds. Four months later on Thanksgiving I weighed in at 146 pounds and could bench press 185 pounds!

I have slipped over the past year and a half and so I am getting back to the program and I'm loving it! I've already lost eight pounds and hope for about eight more. I'll let you know how it goes. Tye out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you!
I tried BFL last year and lost 34 lb in about four months. I went down from 256 to 222. My ideal is about 210 so I almost got there. I am about to do it again, as I too slipped... back up to 235.

Good luck.