Saturday, October 07, 2006

Tenor Madness























Randy up at Tenor Madness dials in my new Tenor Sax

Today was the day to go pick up my alto sax up in Cedar Falls at Tenor Madness. Randy owns and operates the shop that restores vintage horns like mine. You can click on the pic to see a brief slide show.

While I was there, I mentioned that I had a little bit of money saved for a future tenor purchase and he siad he had a great horn that would work for my discerning taste - one that played a 1968 Selmer Mark VI back in the early 80's. After experimenting with a number of necks and mouthpieces and several adjustments with the venting of the horn I finally found a combination I liked so I bought it. I was a few bucks short, but hope I can make it up teaching and playing.

Hats off to Randy at Tenor Madness for a job well done! You see, work on vintage horns like mine is more art than science. But Randy quickly added that it is passion, and he has a lot of it!

Visit www.tenormadness.com.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new "baby". I'm excited for you!
Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi Tye,

beautiful horn! They built some fine instruments in the late years of the Mark VI! Mine is # 199121 from 24.04.1971. :-)

Enjoy!!!

Anonymous said...

Tye, loved seeing and hearing you play Sunday with the Brass Band at NCBC. Really happy for you

Ken S.