Wednesday, October 04, 2006

What my father gave me

















(Me, Dad, Mom, and Judy)

Today at NCBC's Men's Fraternity the topic was : The First Step to Authentic Manhood: Looking Back. Robert Lewis shared about his relationship to his dad and how it deeply impacted his life. I would like to tell you a little about my relationship with my father (in picture above) and the good things my dad gave me as I ventured out into life:
  • Work ethic - dad knew how to give an honest day's work for an honest day's pay.
  • He taught me how to check the oil, change the brakes. When I asked him why we didn't have it repaired at the gas station, he said "They are men just like you and me. We can figure it out just like they do."
  • Dad protected mom and he loved her.
  • He was a disciplinarian and I knew better than to mess with him.
  • He bought me a saxophone and told me that I would be the best sax player in the world. (he was wrong, but the encouragement went miles)
  • He taught me that swearing was unacceptable.
  • He took me to church.
  • He taught me how to hunt.
  • He taught me how to give people the benefit of the doubt and to offer forgiveness quickly.

Thanks Dad for giving me some of the stuff of life that a man needs. Thanks for always encouraging me. Thanks for continuing to be my friend to this day! I love you!

No comments: