Thursday, May 03, 2007

The Day of Reason Observance ~ tolerance







Until yesterday, I never knew about this "counter observance" known as The Day of Reason. After checking out their website I think the main rub is the fact that the government has declared this to be a special day of prayer and this is seen as a violation of the constitution.

Before I start into this subject I want to say that I am for tolerance. While I do not agree with the views of those who embrace The Day of Reason, I am glad they are protected by free speech. And, I am not offended by their Day of Reason observance.

Is the National Day of Prayer a violation of the consitution? You be the judge:

First Amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

I'm not exactly sure how a National Day of Prayer violates this amendment. Congress is not establishing a national religion by declaring a day of prayer.

Don't forget that when our nation was attacked by terrorists on 9/11 and thousands of innocent lives were taken, our congressman stood on the steps of the capitol building (or whatever building it was) and sang "God Bless America." Maybe there really aren't any "aethist in foxholes."

I love this country. I love the freedoms we enjoy. I'm glad that those who celebrated the National Day of Reason had the right to do so. I'm glad the National Day of Prayer enjoyed the same freedom. Tye out.

No comments: