Monday, May 14, 2007

I'm proud to be an American!

I met with a man this morning who is being deployed to Afghanistan and he was telling me about the mission he served in Iraq back in 2005. He was sharing about how inaccurate the media reporting is regarding what is happening in Iraq because the mainstream media (as we well know) picks and chooses what it wants to report. Now that that is off my chest...

I am so proud of our men and women serving our country! They and their families are sacrificing greatly to ensure that we will never again have to face a 911 tragedy. All this talk got me thinking this morning, so here are some of my thoughts.

Why is our country so great? Check out this sentence in the Bible:

Righteousness exalts a nation,
but sin is a disgrace to any people. Proverbs 14:34 NET Bible

When any country acts righteously they are typically exalted. They gain the favor of our Creator God and often are recipients of his blessing. Our country was founded on principles found in the Bible.

Sin is a disgrace.... Question: what is sin? This is where things get a little complicated.

Here's the rub - when the Bible is no longer the rule and authority "sin" becomes fuzzy. Who says homosexuality is wrong? Fundamentalists right-wingers? NO! The Bible says that homosexuality is wrong, not the people who read it and attempt to obey. (sorry to pick on homosexuality - stealing is sin too)

The Bible is my standard for what is right. It is like a level that you use to keep a wall flat and straight. It is like a plumb line that tells me what is straight up and down. It is an objective standard by which we measure everything.

I have a question for you: what is your standard of truth? Mine is the Bible. And after reading it through many, many times I find it to be absolutely accurate it make so much sense.

I'm proud to be an American! God bless America.


1 comment:

The Stutts Family said...

Hi Tye, is this guy Rochelle's husband or someone new I should know about. If it's someone new I'd love to make contact with them, I did lunch with Rochelle last week. Nothing like support while the man's in "no man's land". Let me know!-J