Thursday, May 03, 2007

National Day of Prayer ~ Cedar Rapids

Today was the National Day of Prayer. The Executive Board of the Linn County Associations of Evangelicals sponsors the event and they needed someone to play the Star Spangled Banner so I volunteered to play it on my sax. Click here for a pic of yours truly tooting his own horn. : )

It was a chilly day due to the windy conditions down by the river.

The event started at noon and finished at 1 PM. There were prayers offered for the businesses of Cedar Rapids and the economy, our churches, para church organizations such as FCA and Youth for Christ, our national, state, and local leaders, schools, and the media. I think the most moving prayer was for our men and women serving our country in the fight against terror. James Leatherman led that prayer and halfway through he was overcome by emotion. Thank you to everyone who is serving our country!

I would say there was around 200-250 people in attendance. In spite of the chilly conditions, it was a good day and it is good to be reminded that our country was founded on the premise that all men are created equal and are endowed by their Creator... Here is the first few lines of the Declaration of Independence.

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,
When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable
Rights....

This nation was founded on principles that are based in the Holy Scriptures and I for one am glad. I am thankful for this. Our country has been one of the most prosperous nation on the planet for many reasons: free enterprise, democratic government, and freedom to worship God without fear.

You might be saying to yourself, wow, what a narrow-minded bigot. hmmm. I will never be for cramming my beliefs down your throat. You are certainly free to choose how you worship or don't. But you have to admit that a society that follows the basic teaching of the Bible is going to better off for it, no matter what you believe about God.

(oh boy - I'm heading for the soapbox) It wasn't the evangelical Christian community that drove planes into the World Trade Center. And who showed up first in Louisiana after hurricane Katrina and what country sent aid to the Tsunami victims? Barring religious wackos, when did you hear of people in this great nation we live in using car bombs to retaliate against innocent people (please don't tell me about Waco, Oklahoma City, and the Jim Jones thing)?

I'm thankful to be an American. I love this country with all its faults and failures. And today was my opportunity to spend time praying for it.

BTW - I'll never believe that we can change this country through legislation. Revival will NOT start with the White House, it's going to start in your house! Tye out.

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14NIV

1 comment:

Robin said...

Awesome Tye!!