Monday, November 13, 2006

Are titles really important?

I receive Desktop Devotions from the fine folks over at Lead Like Jesus and wanted to share this one with you:

The Lead Like Jesus journey is moving from a self-serving heart to a servant heart. You finally become a mature adult when you realize that life is about what you give rather than what you get. (Inspiring thoughts from Lead Like Jesus: Beginning the Journey Participant’s Study Guide - Page 26)

I receive another eNewsletter each week and just today noticed that the author signed his name _________ Ph.D. Now I know that it is important for some professionals to use a title with their signature, but I'm not sure why this one felt compelled to do so. Hmmm....

True confession (& rant warning): I have been tempted to get one of those inexpensive online master's degrees so I could say that I have my masters. For about $6k I could get that piece of paper - no kidding. I can't afford Regent U. or some of those others.

You see, I almost didn't find a ministry position because I lack a master's level degree. How can churches demand a degree that costs a small fortune and then offer you $46K a year? (I had this happen to me - not NCBC though!) Other churches tossed my resume because I lacked the master's degree. Keep reading...
I'm glad I was rejected by so many! (really!!!) Now I get to work in a servant leadership environment where the words of Jesus to his disciples are lived out every day.

Jesus called them together and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Mt 20:25-28NIV

No comments: