Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Tony Bennett celebrates his 80th birthday

I love jazz music. As I'm sitting here watching Tony Bennett's 80th birthday celebration he just finished singing "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" and for some reason I'm feeling emotional. This music moves me. The time period moves me. I'm not much of a Christina Aguilera fan, but man, that platinum blond, 1930's period, hairdo was right on and she didn't sound half bad singing with Tony. I love that time period - Duke Ellington, Tommy Dorsey, Errol Garner, et. al.

I dig the piano lines, and the upright bass licks. I love the big band sound. It's soothing, exhilirating, happy, and sad all at the same time.

But Tony. Oh my. Unfortunately I tuned in too late and missed most of the special (did anyone TiVo it?). Someone just announced on a voice over that when someone asked Frank Sinatra what he thought of Tony Bennett he said that Tony was the best and that he could bring a song to life the way the writer had intended it and more.

Finally, here is what the show's director Rob Marshall said about it:

Marshall chose to end the special with Bennett again in an empty hall, belting out his signature, "I Left My Heart In San Francisco," accompanied by Bill Charlap on piano.

"After so many great artists, we have Tony alone on a bare stage with just a pianist. The magic is all about him ... just to hear him alone singing this touching, beautiful song as the epilogue is very, very moving."

"I found myself brought to tears so many times, I couldn't ever say cut," Marshall said. "Tony is an emotional singer, he sings the truth from his heart."


Put the DVD on my Christmas wish list. Tye out.

No comments: