Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Hello! My name is Tye Male and I am a recovering legalist

I'm still sick in my stomach for what happened to Ted Haggard. I have known someone in a similar situation and I know that "but for the grace of God, there go I." So...

Leadership Journal has an article by Gordon MacDonald that had one paragraph I wanted to share with you. I know that I get irritated with non-grace giving, unforgiving people who become almost militant about issues like this. I think this is because once upon a time it was me. And I think I can say with a level of confidence that I am a recovering legalist! With strict baptist upbringing that helped me be more judgemental than gracious. Thankfully, many have also turned the corner on this and are vibrant, growing, healthy congregations fulfilling God's plan.

Listen to what MacDonald writes about what to watch for in a leader (or yourself for that matter!) that may indicate they are headed for a fall:

When I see a leader who becomes stubborn and rigid, who is increasingly less compassionate toward his adversaries, increasingly tyrannical in his own organization, who rouses anger and arrogance in others, I wonder if he is not generating all of this heat because he is trying so hard to say "no" to something surging deep within his own soul.

Ouch! It always makes me nervous when I hear someone being judgemental about others in an almost arrogant tone. whew!
  • Stubborn - unteachable
  • Rigid - unwilling to believe one could be wrong
  • Less compassionate - thinking that we are above such difficulties
  • Rouses anger and arrogance in others - rebel rousers who believe they are above the law

Let's be careful to be gracious, compassionate, loving, and forgiving with others. I don't want to wind up like Ted Haggard. Tye out.

No comments: