Monday, November 06, 2006

Ted Haggard

I'm sad for Ted Haggard. I'm sad for his family. I'm sad for his church. But, I am proud of the body of Christ. His church has responded sooooo appropriately. Click here to watch a video of Colorado Springs local news station's coverage.

I must say that I am humbled by this news. So, today I am not writing to condemn Ted or his church, but to say "but for the grace of God, there goes I." I fear for people who get all rowled up and put on their pharisaical garb. So, for those of us in the ministry, here's some tips from Steve Gallagher.

Steve Gallagher of Pure Life Ministries recently wrote on this subject recently in an article featured at the Canadian PromiseKeeper’s website. Here are some excerpts: (Copied from MondayMorningInsight)

1. Their devotional life has not been properly maintained. A number of years ago I was asked to speak at a pastors’ retreat on the subject, Why Do Our Pastors Keep Falling Into Sin? One of the things I said to those pastors was that, of all the fallen pastors I had dealt with over the years, I had never once had to minister to a “Mary,” but I had dealt with many “Marthas.” In other words, those who stay at the feet of Christ are not vulnerable to falling into sin. At Pure Life Ministries, every worker—whether he is ministering to others or simply filling telephone orders—is required to spend at least two hours a day seeking God. If these lay people can live that way, surely those who are representing the Lord to others should do so as well.

2. There is an over-busy life. This is difficult, because ministry can be very demanding. However, I have found that much of the activity of those who had fallen into sin was not generated by a sincere love for people as much as it was by selfish ambition or fear of man. The sincere minister will go to God and ask Him to reveal his motives. “Lord, am I involved in this activity because I truly want to help others or because I am trying to build a bigger church?” Or, “Lord, even if my motives are pure in this, is it your will?” Jesus scolded Martha by saying, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only a few things are necessary, really only one, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:41-42) Corrie Ten Boom once said, “Beware of the barrenness of a busy life.”

3. Discouragement, Depression, & Fatigue. Satan often capitalizes upon discouragement to lead a person into sin. When a believer gets down or gets hurt by others, he becomes more vulnerable to temptation. Being worn out by ministry is another thing that will weaken a leader’s resolve to live a holy life. The ministry is both stressful and sedentary by nature. The combination of these elements often leave a person physically exhausted, which in turn makes him more vulnerable to temptation.

Tye here. Tye out.

No comments: